AIS Region 7 -- Iris Rhizome Sales
Each club's rhizome sale is it's financial lifeline. It's the club's main source in income to support public gardens, pay annual AIS officer dues, pay for public spaces to conduct meetings, shows, and rhizome sales, as well as pay for club President to attend regional and/or national American Iris Society meetings. Additionally, 10% of all club rhizome sales fund the regional organization.
Some clubs conduct rhizome sales in conjunction with their annual show and/or later in the summer.
As such, the timing of these rhizome sales or auctions vary among clubs. Read
"The Irisarian" for alerts on many of these as well as your local
club's newsletter. See, for example, infromation on the MTIS
In 2020, COVID-19 led to the cancellation of all traditional, in-person rhizome sales. Yet the innovative leaders of Twin States Iris Society planned and conducted an online rhizome auction through their facebook page. It went like this:
- Members were asked to donate iris for the auction and submit a named photo of the bloom.
- All iris photos were posted to their facebook group along with starting bid price.
- An auction start and end time was established.
- As bidding took place through TSIS facebook group, all bidding participants must be followers.
- Person with the highest bid price at auction end is announced winner and contacted through facebook messenger.
- If more than one rhizome of the variety is available, it was offered to the next lowest bidder at the highest bidder's price. If offer not accepted, the same opportunity went to next lowest bidder.
- A pick-up date and location was provided to winners.
- Donators were responsible for digging, cleaning, labeling, and delivering to pick-up location.
- Rhizomes were pre-packaged (for each winner) along with total agreed in advance purchase price.
- Cash was received and iris rhizomes were picked-up.
- Over $400 was raised for TSIS and the club gained several new members.
2021 Iris Rhizome Sales
With the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, clubs are hopeful that they can resume in-person iris rhizome sales in late summer. Yet given COVID-19's disruption of regular club meetings, dates and plans have yet to be communicated to AIS region 7. Below are the 2021 rhizome sales of which we are currently aware.
When youur club is ready to provide more details regarding your rhizome sales, please contact me.
- July 31, 2021 ... Bluegrass Iris Society (BGIS) Public Sale starts 10a EDT at Lexington Green Mall in Lexington, KY
- August 5, 2021 ... BGIS Private Members-Only Iris Sale
- August 7, 2021 ... Jackson Area Iris Society at West Tennessee Farmer's Market, 91 Market Street, Jackson, TN TBD
- August 14, 2021 ... Jackson Area Iris Society at Main Street Farmer's Market, 334 Clark Ave South, Dyersburg, TN TBD
- TBD ... Twin States Iris Society (TSIS) rhizome auction via facebook